Operation Burnout Forums: Most frustrating Burnout game ever? - Operation Burnout Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most frustrating Burnout game ever? Could be... (long post ahead)

#1 User is offline   SonicTH Icon

• Fearless Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • XBox Live Gamertag: SolidSonicTH
  • PSN ID: SolidSonicTH (but I don't have Burnout Paradise)
  • PC Gamertag: SolidSonicTH
  • Time Zone: GMT -5 hours

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

I consider myself a pretty solid Burnout player (after all...I have completed the Tropical Drive Burning Lap in Takedown flawlessly on a couple occasions). However, this game tests my patience like no other. The gameplay mechanics are fine and when I actually do well, this game feels pretty awesome (in some ways, even better than Revenge since it does require you to dodge all traffic again). Maniac events embrace everything Burnout is about (crazy, on the edge driving that mixes style with risk) and actually, I liked it better than Crash mode.

But holy crap, the PS2 version is beyond unfair. The PSP version is pretty easy by comparison but the PS2 version is just so damn hard. The traffic patterns are, at times, nearly impossible to get around and the tracks are littered with all sorts of obstacles that making switching lanes very, VERY hard. Plus the cars feel like they aren't good for dodging traffic (they just don't move fast enough laterally). This is probably the only Burnout game that I did NOT feel responsible for all the crashes I got into; there are some crash scenarios I've encountered that I felt there wasn't a damn thing I could do. Plus there are weird moments where I crash as soon as I recover from a crash, crash at super-low speeds (crashing at 90 mph is something that should happen to no well-versed Burnout driver but it happens to me in this game), and cars just HAPPENING to be in my way in all the right spots (as if the game could predict how I'd make a turn or something).

I've never crashed as much as I have in any Burnout game as much as I do here. I'd say it's Burnout 1's level of crash tolerance mixed with Burnout 3's level of speed, which is a bad combination. While I understand about Burnout's traffic dodging mentality, if you're going to be moving and drifting at Burnout 3's pace, they needed to make the crash tolerance higher (meaning you can skim off traffic in more situations than this game allows), make the traffic lighter, or make the courses less obstacle-ridden. As it is, this is a good game but I can't believe how annoying it can get.

The Takedown engine is also kind of wimpy (it's more like Burnout Revenge 360 where it takes a lot of force to make your opponent crash; more realistic but combined with the unfair crash dynamics it can make Road Rages harder than they need to be).

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to speak my mind on this game after yet another frustrating session of Dominator last night.

#2 User is offline   burnoutjohnson Icon

• Insane Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • PC Gamertag: burnoutjohnson
  • Time Zone: GMT

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

Um ok a little harsh. It's just a game dude.get over it.

#3 User is offline   WiiFreak Icon

• Gold Elite
  • Icon
  • PSN ID: WiiFreak

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:40 AM

The only problem I had was this game was seeing traffic, but that is mainly because my PS2 is on an old TV unlike my PS3 so I'm used to HD graphics. It can be frustrating at times, but there are much more frustrating games out there.

#4 User is offline   SonicTH Icon

• Fearless Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • XBox Live Gamertag: SolidSonicTH
  • PSN ID: SolidSonicTH (but I don't have Burnout Paradise)
  • PC Gamertag: SolidSonicTH

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:20 AM

View Postviper1315, on Mar 6 2009, 10:40 PM, said:

The only problem I had was this game was seeing traffic, but that is mainly because my PS2 is on an old TV unlike my PS3 so I'm used to HD graphics. It can be frustrating at times, but there are much more frustrating games out there.

But in the Burnout chronology? I think this game probably tops it out for frustration.

#5 User is offline   alphabeta777 Icon

• Insane Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • PSN ID: alphabeta777
  • Time Zone: GMT -10 hours

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

I only have the PSP version so I can't relate to what you say about the difficulty and such.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users