Operation Burnout Forums: Challenges --- details change, or am I crazy? - Operation Burnout Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Challenges --- details change, or am I crazy? please help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jonas478 Icon

• Offensive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • PSN ID: jonas478
  • Time Zone: GMT +1 hour

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I was in a group of (better than me) drivers doing a series of 5-car challenges today. And this strange thing happened:

First we were supposed to drive off this jump down to the railroad "boost + drift" and I tried to do that for a while, but did not get a success. Then I looked at the description and it had changed to "boost + barrel roll" --- or was something wrong with my memory?
(and it took me a while to figure out I had to boost ALL the way down --- I normally stop boosting during jumps, guess I think that will save my boost for later...)

The next challenge was at the airfield, one jump through the red hope. I tried that and succeded... but again, no V-mark by my name. Looking at the description again, it had changed AGAIN: "jump through the gray hope at the airfield". Well, I managed that, last in the group again... But I swear it said "red" the first time I read it + others were jumping the red "fusilage section".

My question: Is it normal that the challenge details change after a while? Or did the host change the challenge somehow?

Or am I going crazy? :unsure:

#2 User is offline   burnoutjohnson Icon

• Insane Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • PC Gamertag: burnoutjohnson
  • Time Zone: GMT

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Just crazy... :rolleyes:

#3 User is offline   mattd27 Icon

• Gold Elite
  • Icon
  • XBox Live Gamertag: mattd27
  • Time Zone: GMT -5 hours

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

View Postburnoutjohnson, on Mar 26 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

Just crazy... :rolleyes:

Yeah hes right, that never happens, you must have just been mistaken.

#4 User is offline   rctwizzkid Icon

• Fearless Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • XBox Live Gamertag: rctwizzkid

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

another player probably joined you on freeburn and you were looking at a different list, because allot of the challenges are very simillar

#5 User is offline   Gtuned Icon

• Platinum Elite
  • Icon
  • PSN ID: G06DoRiFUt0
  • Time Zone: GMT -5 hours

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Ive done it before. i thought you just had to land a barrel roll and i spent like 5 minutes at SBE until one of my firends told me it was at the beach

#6 User is offline   starkwhite Icon

• Dangerous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • PSN ID: starkwhite

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

you crazy man!

#7 User is offline   moabboy Icon

• Fearless Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • PSN ID: MoabBoy
  • Time Zone: GMT -8 hours

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

You are crazy like me. I tend to quickly glance at the ticker and assume what I have to do. Then I read it properly when it doesn't check me off.

#8 User is offline   jonas478 Icon

• Offensive Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

Well, maybe I am crazy... ;-)

But there are people who believe me --- Challenges can change. I got this "personal message", that gives a good explanation why it happens:

I've notice this at times as well.....I think its when the host is choosing the challenge another player has entered the room, changing the challenge. Hosting a few rooms myself, and this has happened......picked a challenge to do a barrel roll some where and half way across the map I realize i'm going the wrong direction and check the challenge just to relize it wasn't the challenge I thought I picked lol. So their is nothing wrong with your sanity...all's good.

This explanation makes perfect sense.

It would be an improvment from Criterion if they displayed "Challenge changed" on the screen, when this happens. Maybe the game does, but I missed it if I happened to chrash at the same time?

#9 User is offline   Prowler690 Icon

• Dangerous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • PSN ID: Prowler690

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

Once the challenge is started, make a note to check the ticker, I think everyone at sometime has misread a location or detail and wondered why they don't have the award.

Boosting off a ramp is part of the technique for the higher flatspins/rolls could be tricky using a keyboard but with a pad you get used to bridging the 2 buttons with a thumb.

#10 User is offline   DarkRuleR Icon

• Offensive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • XBox Live Gamertag: xXxDarkRuleRxXx
  • PC Gamertag: xXxDarkRuleRxXx

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

View Postjonas478, on Mar 27 2009, 08:58 AM, said:

Well, maybe I am crazy... ;-)

But there are people who believe me --- Challenges can change. I got this "personal message", that gives a good explanation why it happens:

I've notice this at times as well.....I think its when the host is choosing the challenge another player has entered the room, changing the challenge. Hosting a few rooms myself, and this has happened......picked a challenge to do a barrel roll some where and half way across the map I realize i'm going the wrong direction and check the challenge just to relize it wasn't the challenge I thought I picked lol. So their is nothing wrong with your sanity...all's good.

This explanation makes perfect sense.

It would be an improvment from Criterion if they displayed "Challenge changed" on the screen, when this happens. Maybe the game does, but I missed it if I happened to chrash at the same time?

Are you sure the challenge was started?
When a host browse trough the challenges they also pop up on your screen.

DR...

#11 User is offline   mayu2000 Icon

• Unsafe Member
  • PipPip
  • PSN ID: mayu2000

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

I can confirm that this has actually happened to me too, twice.
Once with the challenge boosting from Read Lane ramp and once in the airfield (same challenges as Jonas points out)
The thing that happened to me in the airfield was that I got the message to jump through the grey fuselage and I nailed that after the second try only to find out that no one was even trying to go through the grey fuselage. I checked if I had succeeded and I had not. I then checked again on the ticker (which I ALWAYS do at the start of the event) and then it said to go through the red fuselage.

So my thought is: I think I was the only one getting the message about the grey fuselage - and yes, I did check the ticker (!) but everyone else got the message about the red fuselage.

Guess this does not make any sense but mostly just wanted to confirm that you are not going crazy, Jonas...some strange things happen in PC sometimes... :-)

#12 User is offline   Alexspeed Icon

• der abschaum
  • Pip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

This post has been edited by Alexspeed: 31 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

#13 User is offline   duffman2010 Icon

• Fearless Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • PSN ID: duffman2010
  • PC Gamertag: duffman2010

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

cukoo cukooo!!!!!!

#14 User is offline   jonas478 Icon

• Offensive Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

View PostDarkRuleR, on Mar 27 2009, 10:35 AM, said:

Are you sure the challenge was started?
When a host browse trough the challenges they also pop up on your screen.

DR...

Yes, I failed maybe 5-6 tries to "drift + boost" and since the instruction was a bit longer than normal, I read it at least 3 times, so that I did not miss any part of it.

And the second challenge, when it started I had stoped to write a message to the host (to explain that it took me a while to figure out that I had to boost ALL the way down) and so I was the last driving down to the airfield and I read the instruction while driving = red hope.

#15 User is offline   jonas478 Icon

• Offensive Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

View Postmayu2000, on Mar 27 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

I can confirm that this has actually happened to me too, twice.
Once with the challenge boosting from Read Lane ramp and once in the airfield (same challenges as Jonas points out)
The thing that happened to me in the airfield was that I got the message to jump through the grey fuselage and I nailed that after the second try only to find out that no one was even trying to go through the grey fuselage. I checked if I had succeeded and I had not. I then checked again on the ticker (which I ALWAYS do at the start of the event) and then it said to go through the red fuselage.

So my thought is: I think I was the only one getting the message about the grey fuselage - and yes, I did check the ticker (!) but everyone else got the message about the red fuselage.

Guess this does not make any sense but mostly just wanted to confirm that you are not going crazy, Jonas...some strange things happen in PC sometimes... :-)

Thanks for the confirmation, that I am not the only one.

But I wonder... If you were the only one to get the first text, it is even more odd that the instruction changes after a while... Still, I agree, strange things happen in computer games.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users