Failed to play MKV files on macOS Sierra with QuickTime? Take it easy! Dimo offer 3 ways to enable you to watch MKV movies on macOS Sierra with ease.
MKV format is a very popular video format that is supported by the majority of media players. But Mac's MKV support is not that good and many Mac users may suffer stuttering playback when watching MKV with preinstalled QuickTime, especially after upgrading macOS 10.12 Sierra. This article will share two easy methods to play MKV on MacOS Sierra, so that you can have a smooth MKV playback on MacOS with ease.
Method 1. Play MKV on macOS Sierra with QuickTime Component [No 100% work guarantee]
Perian is a open-source software app that makes viewing your media files easier. Basically, Perian enables QuickTime application support for a wide variety of media files.
Bottom Line: Perian does not work with QuickTime 10 or above, and the development team for Perian will cease updates in the near future to move to another project. Still, if you use earlier versions of QuickTime 7 and run into file format issues (especially on migrated files), then Perian is a must-have. Its support for a huge number of file formats makes this a useful utility for most people.
Plus, the latest version 1.2.3 of Perian doesn't work on Mac OS X Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and the latest macOS Sierra because Perian requires installation of Quicktime 7, which doesn't exist for Mavericks and above.
Method 2. You can try other MKV Players for Mac [Not always work]
1. VLC Player
Bottom Line: If you want to play MKV on QuickTime and run macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, not all players will work perfectly, for example, the video is too dark, choppy; the video and audio can not sync; some subtitles can not be played; some DVD or other video file can not be played; some free player crashes.
Worse still, players like VLC can play lots of video formats, like MP4, AVI, MKV, AVI, WMV, etc, but not all of them, like AAF, DAT, MXF, etc.
Method 3. Convert MKV videos to macOS Sierra supported formats [Recommend]
So to avoid MKV players related problems and to save time in looking for third-party QuickTime components, the alternative method here is to convert the MKV video format to the macOS Sierra QuickTime supported video format, such as MOV. For an easy to use MKV video converter, Dimo Video Converter Ultimate for Mac deserves you try.
See Its Essential Features:
* Convert MKV to macOS Sierra supported formats like MOV and MP4 with both rather fast speed and original quality
* Extract audio files from MKV videos as MP3, WAV, WMA, AC3, AAC, etc.
* Except from converting MKV video, this tool supports the conversion of more than 70 popular video formats AVI, WMV, FLV, MPEG, VOB, TiVo on macOS Sierra
* Make ISO from MKV videos for backup or playback if necessary.
* Trim, crop, rotate or add effects/subtitles/watermarks to your MKV videos before converting them.
* Compatible with macOS 10.6 or later, including 10.12 Sierra and 10.11 El Capitan, Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista.
Below is the step-by-step guide that shows you how to encode MKV files to macOS Sierra compatible videos (Windows version is here).
Get the Best MKV Video Converter for MacOS Sierra:
- Soft32 Download: http://dimo-video-co...ate.soft32.com/
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Dimo-Vi ... 194_4-77376153.html
- Top4download: http://www.top4download.com/dimo ... r-mac/digazgge.html
- Antivire Download: http://www.antivire.com/Download ... mate-for_46665.html
- Directoryofshareware Download: http://www.directoryofshareware. ... r_ultimate_for_mac/
- Fileflash Download: http://146210.7.file...h.com/download/
1. Import MKV videos
Launch the MKV Converter for macOS Sierra. You can directly drag local MKV videos into the program window or click "Add file" button in the bottom left to import MKV files.
2. Choose macOS Sierra friendly format
Click "Select Format" bar and select "MOV" or "MP4" from the "Format > Video" or "Format > HD Video", which are fully compatible with macOS Sierra and Quick Time.
P.S. This Video Converter for macOS Sierra also helps you to convert videos to mobile devices/VR/TV/Editors/Game Cosole supported formats.
3. Start converting MKV on macOS Sierra
In the end, you just need to click the "Start" button start the MKV conversion on macOS Sierra. When the converting process ends, you can open output folder to check and play converted MKV videos on your macOS Sierra. It would be easy for you to enjoy the converted MKV with Quick Time or iTunes with original quality.
Editor's Note: We highly recommend this solution to watch any movie on Mac regardless of Mac OS Sierra, Mac OS X Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan.
Free Download or Purchase Dimo Video Converter Ultimate for Mac:
Find more New Year Sale and contact us if you have any issues.
- How to backup movies and music to Plex Cloud
- [Solved]MP4 files won't play on Blu-ray Player?
- How to Rip Netflix Blu-ray to MKV for playing
- Best Handbrake Alternative for MacOS Sierra
- Is 4K projector able to play 4K H.265(HEVC)?
- How to Get MKV files to work in HTC Vive
- Why can't I play MP4 on VLC Media Player?
- Making DVD Video_TS folder editable in FCP 7/X
- Tutorial on ripping Blu-ray to 3D SBS MP4 for VR/3D TV
- Backup The Martian DVD to WD My Cloud for TV playback
Source: 3 Methods to Play MKV on Mac OS Sierra