WMP doesn't support DVD movie sometimes? To do this, you'll need to install DVD codec, rip DVD to WMP compatible WMV or find WMP alternatives. Here is how.
Microsoft opted not to include DVD support because so many new computers, tablets, and ultrabooks – aren't coming with DVD drives. As a WMP user you would assume it plays DVD-Video disc you purchase from Amazon or local store or some rental DVDs from Redbox, Netflix. This article offers a brief instruction about the best 3 solutions to rip and play DVD discs with Windows Media Player at ease.
Solution 1: Install codec package
If you can't playback the DVD with Windows Media Player, you can try using the Windows Media Player's DVD troubleshooter to fix some of common problems as listed in the following:
Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
Click View All, and then click Windows Media Player DVD.
If you get a message that says that your computer is missing a codec or that you'll need a DVD decoder, try installing the all-in-one codec package like K-lite Codec Pack. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact our Support's team.
Solution 2: Rip DVD to Windows Media Player video
Why you need to rip DVD to Windows Media Player (aka. WMP)?
1. Microsoft decided to abandon DVD support on Windows 8 and 10, to save unnecessary licensing fee, which means Windows Media Player in Windows 8/10 can't play DVDs. That news comes as a bit of a shock, considering the Windows 7 Media Player could play DVDs.
2. Windows Media Player can't play DVD formatted files. Commercial DVDs are encrypted and region-locked. Only special DVD player software can open and display them.
3. Windows 7 Home Basic and Starter don't arrive with DVD playback capability.
Well, it's a pity that even your own (not encrypted) DVDs couldn't be played by Windows Media Player, either. In this case you will need a DVD converter program that has the capacity to convert DVD to other file supported by Windows Media Player.
Here Dimo Video Converter Ultimate is a program that can give you optimum results. It supports virtually all the Windows Media Player supported file format. In addition, it has the capability to convert both protected DVD and Blu-ray movies to your file format of choice. It is also fast in ripping but you are always assured of a high quality output video that you can also edit, watch and share with friends without mentioning playing in different devices. Now download it and follow the step-by-step guide to accomplish converting DVD movies to Windows Media Player.
Free Download Dimo Video Converter Ultimate (Win/Mac):
Windows Download Mac Download
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Dimo-Vi ... 140_4-77472903.html
- Soft32 Download: http://dimo-video-co...ate.soft32.com/
- Software.informer Download: http://dimo-video-co...former.com/2.7/
- Top4download: http://www.top4download.com/dimo ... imate/nsyrihrb.html
- Softpedia Download: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Mul ... rter-Ultimate.shtml
- windows7download: http://www.windows7download.com/ ... imate/bpphgnww.html
- download.html.it: http://download.html...erter-ultimate/
- yankeedownload: http://www.yankeedownload.com/so ... ultimate-lnpoi.html
- instaluj.cz Download: http://www.instaluj....verter-ultimate
- komputerswiat.pl Download: http://download.komputerswiat.pl ... -converter-ultimate
- cuteapps Download: http://www.cuteapps.com/program- ... ftware-download.htm
- downloadcollection Download: http://www.downloadcollection.co ... verter_ultimate.htm
- itshareware Download: http://www.itshareware.com/prodv ... verter-ultimate.htm
- komputerswiat Download: http://www.komputerswiat.pl/nowo ... -dzis-za-darmo.aspx
- stahuj.centrum.cz Download: http://www.stahuj.centrum.cz/mul ... converter-ultimate/
- freedownloadmanager Download: http://en.freedownloadmanager.or ... erter-Ultimate.html
- Windows8downloads Download: https://www.windows8downloads.co ... -ultimate-fyqxbkug/
- Findmysoft Download: http://dimo-video-co...findmysoft.com/
- Raritysoft Download: http://dimo-video-co...oft.com/windows
How to Rip DVD for Windows Media Player
Step 1. Import your DVD movies
Install and run this DVD Ripper for WMP. Launch it and click the "Add Blu-ray" button to import the Blu-ray movie files that you want to convert to play with Windows Media Player. Both ISO and video files in DVD Folder can also be loaded.
Step 2. Select compatible video format
Just click on the dropdown menu of "Select Format", and then choose, WMV from "Format > Video" profile list. Keep in mind, if you rip the DVD to another common format and playback it on WMP, you may hear audio but no video picture displayed, which means the video codec isn't installed. You need to install extrac codec pack to solve the issue. That's why we prefer to choose WMV, a format developed by Microsoft.
Tip 1: If the default video/parameters can't meet your needs, just click "Settings" icon to adjust the video codec, bitrate, frame rate, audio sample rate, etc to get a decent video as you want. In principle, the larger input values, the better output quality, but the corresponding larger file size.
Tip 2: If you want to edit the DVD movies before ripping, you can click "Edit" and get access to the video editing functions, such as trim, crop, rotate, add watermarks, adjust video effects, etc.
Step 3. Start ripping DVD
When all settings are done, select the location for your movie in the Output Folder menu box, simply click the Start button to begin the conversion. After the conversion finishes, you can click Open to locate the converted DVD movies.
In addition to WMV, it also provides optimized output formats for iPhone (iPhone 7/7 Plus) iPad (iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2), Samsung tablets, LG, HTC smart phones, Gear VR, Oculus Rift and many other devices like Tivo box. It is user friendly and the steps involved in converting DVD are also simple.
You have 3 ways to play the resulting video file in Windows Media Player:
Step 1. Locate the file in the save path.
Step 2. Right click on the video, navigate to Open with.
Step 3. Scroll down to Windows Media Player and select it. Then, the video plays instantly.
Step 1. Open Windows Media Player.
Step 2. Select Library, and then double click on Video and All Video.
Step 3. Locate the video you decrypted from DVD and double click on it to play right now.
Drag & drop them to Windows Media Player for watching smoothly.
Solution 3: Some other better ways to play DVD
If you still cannot solve the problems associated with, your DVD is not playing in WMP without any solution you can try other alternatives. Here are some of the alternatives that will help you some these problems.
1. Top Best WMP Alternative - 8K Player
Surpassing what the name shows you, 8K Player is the best alternative to play DVD on windows-based computer. It can play DVD files (including DVD folder, ISO, VOB files) without having to install any extra codec packages. The built-in media player allows you to watch any DVD movies with HD visual experience without any hassles.
Tips: 8K Player for Mac is available for Mac users. The supported computer operating system includes the latest MacOS Sierra (10.12).
Windows Trial Windows Buy
2. VLC Media Player
VLC is the most popular as well as powerful free and open source tool in the market. It is capable of playing virtually every file format that you can think of, both in Mac and window based computer including DVD of course.
PowerDVD is developed by CyberLink Corp. and can play any video, audio, pictures, DVD, DVD and HD movies. It supports playback any files across PC, tablets, smart phones, TV and more. It's high playback image and audio quality makes it famous in the DVD player market. What makes people frustrated is that PowerDVD is expensive and its superabundant version usually makes users refused and hard to decide which to choose.
3. BS Player
BS Player is claimed to be the best multimedia player in the world. It supports DivX, HD, AVC video, movie, audio, DVD and YouTube files. There's a free basic version of BS player to fulfill users' needs. But if you want to navigate the DVD menu, you need to purchase it first. Besides, there's no "Play DVD" button, which means you need to upgrade to the pro version as per needs.
To conclude, when you play DVD files with WMP and found it didn't work, just don't give up your DVD and there are several methods that can help you save your DVD enjoyment. Install codec package, rip DVD to WMP compatible format or try some outstanding WMP alternative like 8K Player. Just like the saying goes, where there is a will, there is a way. Watching DVD movies anywhere you like is easy as ABC now.
Free Download or Purchase Dimo Video Converter Ultimate:
Need the lifetime version to work on 2-4 PCs so that your friends and family can instantly broaden their entertainment options? Please refer to the family license here.
The price of Dimo Video Converter Ultimate for Windows is divided into 1 Year Subscription, Lifetime/Family/Business License: $43.95/Year; $45.95/lifetime license; $95.95/family license(2-4 PCs); $189.95/business pack(5-8 PCs). Get your needed one at purchase page.
Lossless backup Blu-ray to MKV with all audio and subtitle tracks; Rip Blu-ray to multi-track MP4; ConvertBlu-ray to almost all popular video/audio formats and devices; Copy Blu-ray to ISO/M2TS; Share digitized Blu-ray wirelessly.
A professional DVD ripping and editing tool with strong ability to remove DVD protection, transcode DVD to any video and audio format, and edit DVD to create personal movie.
An all-around video converter software program that enables you to convert various video and audio files to formats that are supported by most multimedia devices.
Contact us or leave a message at Facebook if you have any issues.
- Get Windows Media Player to play .tivo files
- Why can't I play MP4 on VLC Media Player?
- 2 Methods to Solve can't play MP4 on Windows Media Player
- How to add DVD to Kodi (XBMC) Movie Library for playback
- Better User Friendliness and leading 4K/VR media solution from Dimo
- Huge Achievement on Surface/HTC/Sony/Nexus/Kindle/VR Movie Playback
- Dimo V2.7.4 marks biggest milestone update with expanded format choices
- Dimo V2.7.4 marks biggest milestone update with expanded format choices
- Dimo V2.7.4 Released with 4K MOV and PS VR output support
- How to Import DVD Movies to iTunes [Full Quality]
Source: Rip DVD to WMP and Play DVD on Windows Media Player