Learn the best fix for 'MKV Cannot Play in VLC Player' issue by using another MKV player or easily convert MKV to VLC Media Player supported format.
Since VLC becomes a popular open source multimedia player, many people have been wondering "Can VLC Player Play MKV files?" Does VLC play MKV video? According to From VideoLAN official website, we learn that MKV is really one of VLC Player supported video formats. However, sometime we still fail to play MKV in VLC. Common issues have often troubled many guys: "Can't hear the sound of MKV files at all", "VLC stuttering or choppy when playing MKV" or "VLC just load MKV file all the time". In this article, we aim to work out possible 3 solutions to help you play MKV with VLC Media Player smoothly.
How to Play All Kinds of MKV in VLC Media Player?
Solution 1: Convert MKV to VLC Player more compatible formats - Convenient Way
Since MKV is a container format which may contain multiple video and audio streams. And the video and audio stream can be encoded any of several ways. If the MKV video or audio codec is not VLC Player supported one, VLC Media Player won't play MKV video of this kind. In order to solve "VLC Media Player won't play MKV files and to successfully play any MKV video in VLC Media Player, we had better convert MKV to VLC most supported video format like MP4 for smooth playback instead of downloading a codex bundle.
Here Dimo Video Converter Ultimate is recommended to help you achieve the goal. It is one of the top video converters for Windows 10, 8, 7, etc. With this software in hand, you can convert any videos including MP4, MKV, AVI, VOB, Tivo, MTS, MXF, MOV, MPG, etc. to VLC supported file formats.
Free Download Dimo Video Converter Ultimate (Win/Mac):
Windows Download Mac Download
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Dimo-Vi ... 140_4-77472903.html
- Soft32 Download: http://dimo-video-co...ate.soft32.com/
- Software.informer Download: http://dimo-video-co...former.com/2.7/
- Top4download: http://www.top4download.com/dimo ... imate/nsyrihrb.html
- Softpedia Download: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Mul ... rter-Ultimate.shtml
- windows7download: http://www.windows7download.com/ ... imate/bpphgnww.html
- download.html.it: http://download.html...erter-ultimate/
- yankeedownload: http://www.yankeedownload.com/so ... ultimate-lnpoi.html
- instaluj.cz Download: http://www.instaluj....verter-ultimate
- komputerswiat.pl Download: http://download.komputerswiat.pl ... -converter-ultimate
- cuteapps Download: http://www.cuteapps.com/program- ... ftware-download.htm
- downloadcollection Download: http://www.downloadcollection.co ... verter_ultimate.htm
- itshareware Download: http://www.itshareware.com/prodv ... verter-ultimate.htm
- komputerswiat Download: http://www.komputerswiat.pl/nowo ... -dzis-za-darmo.aspx
- stahuj.centrum.cz Download: http://www.stahuj.centrum.cz/mul ... converter-ultimate/
- freedownloadmanager Download: http://en.freedownloadmanager.or ... erter-Ultimate.html
- Windows8downloads Download: https://www.windows8downloads.co ... -ultimate-fyqxbkug/
- Findmysoft Download: http://dimo-video-co...findmysoft.com/
- Raritysoft Download: http://dimo-video-co...oft.com/windows
How to convert MKV to VLC Media Player
STEP 1. Add MKV video
Start up the MKV to VLC Media Player converter, and then click "Add File" to import all .MKV files.
STEP 2. Choose VLC's feasible format as output format
Click the "Select Format" menu, select VLC Media Player friendly format as your output video format. There, you can take MP4, AVI or MKV from "Format > Video" as your output video format. If you prefer high definition videos, move your mouse pointer to "Format > HD Video" and then choose HD MP4, HD AVI or HD MKV.
Tip 1: The smart MKV file converter additionally offers some useful edit functions to enhance your video. Click the Edit button to get it.
Tip 2: You can adjust the parameters by clicking "Settings" button, choose the resolution, bitrate, frame rate as you want.
STEP 3. Start converting MKV to VLC Media Player
Click "Start" button to start MKV conversion for playing with VLC Media Player. The conversion process will take a while, and you'll see an encoding progress bar. Once finished, click the Open button in the main interface and you can locate the encoded MKV files effortlessly. And then you are able to add them to your VLC for playback easily without any issues.
Solution 2. Seek for A VLC Alternative - Fast way
Rather than asking "Does VLC play MKV?", "How can I import MKV to VLC?", "How to stop VLC freezing", why not switch to another media player as so many good players are available out there. Here 8K Player for Win/Mac will definitely worth a shot. As an all-around free media player, it can freely open and play all SD/HD/4K/8K videos and audios in MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MP3, FLAC, etc smoothly! No need to install any codec packs, plug-ins or components. If you need to play Blu-ray or DVD discs, you can free download the 8K Player Blu-ray Power to have a try.
Free Download 8K Player for Win/Mac (Blu-ray Power) :
Windows Download Mac Download
Solution 3: Install appropriate codec pack - A Universal Solution
There are various free codec packs online which will allow us to decode and play MKV files. The disadvantage of this approach is that you have to download a lot of codecs but if you are only trying to play one type of video file. It is hard to find the right encoder for each MKV video. Another shortcoming is these codecs not always work well as MKV videos always been encoded in several ways.
Other solutions you may need:
VLC Player No Sound Solution: Solution 1, Unmute your VLC Player; Solution 2, select Tools > Preferences menu to open Preferences dialog, select Audio on the left, and confirm Enable audio is checked. Then Click Output module drop-down button and try a different default.
MKV Skipping Solution: Select Tools > Preferences menu to open Preferences dialog, then select All at the bottom of the dialog, and then select Input/Codecs on the left. On the right of the dialog, in Advanced group, set the value of File caching to 1000.
Choppy Solution: Try to disable hardware decoding. Go to Tools > Preferences menu, select Input/Codecs > Video codecs > FFmpeg. And then set the value of Hardware decoding to Disable in Decoding group.
For users who prefer to stick with VLC and do not want to convert MKV to VLC supported formats or use another MKV Player either, there are left with no choice but to tweak some settings with VLC itself or disable the hardware decoding. But it does not always work out and you may get confused if setting stuff is totally new to you. So tohelp you with can't play MKV in VLC Media Player playback trouble, finding an MKV Player alternative or MKV Converter will be more effective.
Free Download or Purchase Dimo Video Converter Ultimate:
Need the lifetime version to work on 2-4 PCs so that your friends and family can instantly broaden their entertainment options? Please refer to the family license here.
The price of Dimo Video Converter Ultimate for Windows is divided into 1 Year Subscription, Lifetime/Family/Business License: $43.95/Year; $45.95/lifetime license; $95.95/family license(2-4 PCs); $189.95/business pack(5-8 PCs). Get your needed one at purchase page.
Lossless backup Blu-ray to MKV with all audio and subtitle tracks; Rip Blu-ray to multi-track MKV; ConvertBlu-ray to almost all popular video/audio formats and devices; Copy Blu-ray to ISO/M2TS; Share digitized Blu-ray wirelessly.
A professional DVD ripping and editing tool with strong ability to remove DVD protection, transcode DVD to any video and audio format, and edit DVD to create personal movie.
An all-around video converter software program that enables you to convert various video and audio files to formats that are supported by most multimedia devices.
Contact us or leave a message at Facebook if you have any issues.
- Rip Blu-ray to Side-by-Side MP4 for playing on VR/3D TV
- How to Convert Blu Ray Movies for Playback in Windows Media Player
- Convert MP4 to play on Sony/Pansonic/Samsung/LG TV
- Sony TV Won't Play MP4 Solution: Convert MP4 to Sony TV
- Does TV support playing MKV files from USB/DLNA Devices
- Transfer MKV video to LG TV for playback
- How to Copy The Martian DVD to WD My Cloud for Streaming
- Freely Rip and Convert 3D Blu-ray to SBS 3D MP4 videos
- How to Edit DJI Mavic Pro 4K in FCP (X) Natively?
- TV Won't Play QT MOV Solution: Convert QuickTime mov to TV