This post has been edited by wolfmaster: 03 February 2008 - 02:47 AM

#47 User is offline   Cooper Icon

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • PSN ID: AntonCooper
  • Time Zone: GMT

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:11 AM

Updated wolfmaster's scores. Ironmaster99 you need an image ;)

#48 User is offline   wolfmaster Icon

• Dangerous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • PSN ID: hurricane_mario

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:20 AM

View PostCooper, on Feb 2 2008, 10:11 PM, said:

Updated wolfmaster's scores. Ironmaster99 you need an image ;)

lol, thanks. I'll probably try to beat more records once I get closer to beating all the challenges. I havent got to play as much as I'd want to. College... :wacko:

#49 User is offline   Pricey Icon

• Reckless Member
  • PipPipPip
  • XBox Live Gamertag: Pricey589

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

Theres no achievement for a certain amount of takedowns is there? I just get to the required number and crash, lol.

I'll get some pics soon.

#50 User is offline   CHA1N5 Icon

• Unsafe Member
  • PipPip
  • PSN ID: CHA1N5

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

I broke boost chaining:

Posted Image

And Stunt Run, by association, but that is an interesting story:

Apparently, the highest score you are allowed to get in a stunt run is 2,147,483,674. I reached this score and no further activity increased it. I even got a 2x multiplier against that score and when the event ended it gave me the "You lost this event" message and showed my score as -2,147,483,674! (yes, negative) Sure enough, when I went back to my records screen I received no credit for the amazing score.

So, thankfully, I took pictures before the end of the event. I even took two sequential ones in the hopes of demonstrating that the score was no longer changing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note the change in the Boost value between these two pics. I got another boost chain between the two and my score didn't change.

I'm going to try this trick again to see if I can get a score that is less than 2,147,483,674 and get it to count for my records.

#51 User is offline   wolfmaster Icon

• Dangerous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

View PostCHA1N5, on Feb 4 2008, 11:59 AM, said:

Posted Image

Either you have no life and could go back and forth on one road doing burnouts for a solid day (because that's what that would take), or you found a cheap exploit in the game (like duct taping the controls down while it's boosting in a circle, or a glitch that allows you to boost in place) or you hacked it. Either way, no one is impressed.

This post has been edited by wolfmaster: 04 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

#52 User is offline   Winded187 Icon

• Fearless Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • XBox Live Gamertag: Winded187

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

A 3,556 burnout chain?! Come on. I wounder how much of the rest of your stats are B/S.

#53 User is offline   CHA1N5 Icon

• Unsafe Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

*sigh*

I was really hoping I wouldn't see this sort of response on this forum, but there you have it. Why the animosity?

Yes, is is an exploit. Just like any drift number over 100-200 yards. That's why I started my post with "I broke boost chaining."

The point is: now we know that it's possible, and it also teaches us something about Stunt Run scoring.

doing burnouts for a solid day (because that's what that would take),

For reference, the time between burnouts is ~8 seconds. You can do the math.

#54 User is offline   Cooper Icon

• Administrator
  • Icon

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

Ok. I've updated the scores.

@CHA1N5, there's NO WAY i'll be adding a score of 2 billion to the leaderboards. You clearly exploited a pretty easy glitch considering you could take a protograph whilst boosting. Submitting scores like that here is wasting your time. I've added your other ones such as boost chain as it's a stat which everyone abuses. I think that most people will take that into consideration when viewing the scores.

#55 User is offline   wolfmaster Icon

• Dangerous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

View PostCHA1N5, on Feb 4 2008, 12:28 PM, said:

*sigh*

I was really hoping I wouldn't see this sort of response on this forum, but there you have it. Why the animosity?

Yes, is is an exploit. Just like any drift number over 100-200 yards. That's why I started my post with "I broke boost chaining."

The point is: now we know that it's possible, and it also teaches us something about Stunt Run scoring.

doing burnouts for a solid day (because that's what that would take),

For reference, the time between burnouts is ~8 seconds. You can do the math.

The drifting is NOT an exploit, it's inherent in the game physics that you can drift in a circle easily.

You were burnouting for 7.9022222222222 Hours. I suppose you'll never give out your secret... chances are it requires no skill at all and you found it by chance without trying to do it initially.

This post has been edited by wolfmaster: 04 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

#56 User is offline   CHA1N5 Icon

• Unsafe Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

View Postwolfmaster, on Feb 4 2008, 11:32 AM, said:

The drifting is NOT an exploit, it's inherent in the game physics that you can drift in a circle easily.

"Exploit" means different things to different people. I consider it "exploiting" said physics engine to drift for hours. This boost chain trick is not any different. It is a feature of a particular driving pattern that allows the pattern to propagate itself. If you want to call that "inherent in the game physics" it doesn't matter: the technique is the same.

chances are it requires no skill at all and you found it by chance without trying to do it initially.

It requires about as much skill as the drifting and I found it after a great deal of trial and error with different locations on the map and ALL of the speed cars.

but... believe what you like.

#57 User is offline   CHA1N5 Icon

• Unsafe Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

View PostCooper, on Feb 4 2008, 11:31 AM, said:

Ok. I've updated the scores.

@CHA1N5, there's NO WAY i'll be adding a score of 2 billion to the leaderboards. You clearly exploited a pretty easy glitch considering you could take a protograph whilst boosting. Submitting scores like that here is wasting your time. I've added your other ones such as boost chain as it's a stat which everyone abuses. I think that most people will take that into consideration when viewing the scores.

I do not disagree with your conclusion regarding the 2B score, but I'm curious: why did you include my drift record, then? My drift record is the product of exactly the same technique and all of the associated skill.

Look: I'm not claiming any kind of greatness here, I'm simply suggesting that a 2B stunt run is exactly as legitimate as a 2.4 mile drift. The only difference is how long I was interested in waiting to stop. What if I had stopped my "stunt run"/"boost chain" at, say, $11M points? Would you treat the score the same? Yes, this is a philosophical question. Yes, I'm only asking to spur discussion. Still: your application of the "easy glitch" stance is inconsistent.

#58 User is offline   Cooper Icon

• Administrator
  • Icon

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Like I said earlier in this thread, people know that they can get unlimited drifts and boosts with little or no skill and people will take that into consideration this when viewing the charts. The leader with the high scores in those categories will be considered the best due to the endurance of drifting in circles for ages. If it is obvious that the scores were gained though exploits which don't require you to be at the controls of the car (i.e. taping the buttons down) then the scores will not be added.

In light of wolfmaster's post about the length of time you would have been boosting for I have removed that score. If you're telling me that you used a similar technique to get you drift score then that will be removed too. If people want to spend hours at the controls of a spinning car, let them, and we'll acknowledge it for what it is (Pretty sad in my interpretation). But there is no way you sat there for 8 hours, boosting.

There's no way to detect if anyone’s scores are a result or skill, fluke or exploits but that's fine. When you look at the tables and see someone with a 8 million mile drift or a 3,500 boost chainyou don't think "Wow, that guy has skills!", you think "Geez, someone has way too much time on their hands".

#59 User is offline   wolfmaster Icon

• Dangerous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

View PostCooper, on Feb 4 2008, 01:36 PM, said:

Like I said earlier in this thread, people know that they can get unlimited drifts and boosts with little or no skill and people will take that into consideration this when viewing the charts. The leader with the high scores in those categories will be considered the best due to the endurance of drifting in circles for ages. If it is obvious that the scores were gained though exploits which don't require you to be at the controls of the car (i.e. taping the buttons down) then the scores will not be added.

In light of wolfmaster's post about the length of time you would have been boosting for I have removed that score. If you're telling me that you used a similar technique to get you drift score then that will be removed too. If people want to spend hours at the controls of a spinning car, let them, and we'll acknowledge it for what it is (Pretty sad in my interpretation). But there is no way you sat there for 8 hours, boosting.

There's no way to detect if anyone’s scores are a result or skill, fluke or exploits but that's fine. When you look at the tables and see someone with a 8 million mile drift or a 3,500 boost chainyou don't think "Wow, that guy has skills!", you think "Geez, someone has way too much time on their hands".

Very good points. Also, I see ackers' Airtime of 7s. I find it hard to believe that was skill... More likely landing on a railing for 4 seconds (which counts as airtime). Sadly It seems like none of the records are clear-cut and non-exploitable, i.e. rely on pure skill. Therefore the points you made come into play, Cooper.

Another thing People might want to do: If you do have a legitimate way of boosting for hours, show your skills by recording it and upload the video! (Well, if it's more than 10 minutes you have to use Rapidshare or something) Honestly, I'd love to see an 8 hour burnout just going reverse on the freeway around the city 40 times. :laugh:

#60 User is offline   CHA1N5 Icon

• Unsafe Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Cooper: It's a tough position you're in, I recognize. For the record: I can easily maintain boost and drift chains with only one hand on the controller for prolonged periods, so taking a picture of one of those activities in progress is not an indication of extra control mechanics (tape, etc.). Still, you're quite right that my 8 hour exercise was NOT entirely done by hand. (I did actually do the first 200+ boosts by hand, but then I decided to simply see how ridiculous a score was possible.) My drift WAS entirely done by hand, however.

Invariably, many aspects of "high scores" such as these will devolve into a sort of Honor System. I don't think my score should be entirely omitted from the record books, however... it is, after all, a noteworthy feat that I've not seen anyone else complete. Give me an honorable mention, if nothing else. :) See wolfmaster's comments about 7 second air time: this isn't Olympic sprinting or Chess, eventually luck and/or invention will trump skill in most or all of these records.

Oh, on a related note: how high of a number of burnouts will you not be suspicious of? I don't ask for my own benefit, because I no longer have any way of demonstrating any number between 100 and 3,557; rather, for the next person that wants to break the current record... how high is "too high"? :)

This post has been edited by CHA1N5: 04 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

• (24 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users